Winona Ryder has joined Michael Keaton and Tim Burton in saying a Beetlejuice sequel is in the works (and you know what happens when you say “Beetlejuice” three times).
On Monday’s Late Night with Seth Meyers, the actress confirmed a follow-up to the 1988 film is happening.
“Um, I think I can confirm it, because Tim Burton did this interview — like, it was very hush hush, top secret … and then he was doing some press for Big Eyes and he did an on-camera interview and he said, ‘Oh yeah we’re doing it and Winona’s going to be in it,’ and I was like [shocked face].”
Last year, Keaton and Burton both said plans for a sequel were in motion.
“I’ve emailed Tim a couple of times, talked to the writer a couple of times, but all really, really preliminary stuff,” Keaton told MTV in February 2014. “I always said that’s the one thing I’d like to do again, if I ever did anything again. But it kind of required Tim to be involved some way or another.”
And in December, Burton added, “There is a script, and I would love to work with him again. I think there is now a better chance than ever… I miss that character. There’s something that’s cathartic and amazing about it. I think it’s closer than ever.”