Connect with us

News

Deadpool 2 Gets New Title For PG-13 Re-Release

Published

on

Deadpool 2 is set to become a delightful family Christmas film later this year, as it transforms into the charmingly-named Once Upon a Deadpool.

Okay, that’s not strictly true. The R-rated superhero feature, the highest-grossing adults-only flick of the year, will find itself re-released in time for the holidays as a PG-13 action flick, but for a good cause – $1 of every ticket sold will go to Arrow actor Stephen Amell’s charity ‘Fuck Cancer’, which in the spirit of Deadpool’s censorship will become ‘Fudge Cancer’ for the month of December.

“Fox has been asking for a PG-13 basically since the start in 2006,” star Ryan Reynolds told Deadline on Monday, “I’ve said no since 2006. Now, this one time, I said ‘Yes’ on two conditions. First, a portion of the proceeds had to go to charity. Second, I wanted to kidnap Fred Savage. The second condition took some explaining…”

With the non-stop swearing and gratuitous violence of the original feature, any censored version was always going to lose a vast chunk of its runtime. To fill in the gaps, Reynolds (along with writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick) filmed new segments with The Wonder Years star Fred Savage, as a framing device mirroring the similar sequences from storybook classic The Princess Bride (which starred Savage as a child actor). When asked about the sequences, Savage said: “While my participation in this film was anything but voluntary. I am happy to learn that Fudge Cancer will be the beneficiary of this shameless cash grab.”


Deadpool
languished in development hell for a decade, as 20th Century Fox argued with Reynolds over the feasibility of a hard-R superhero franchise. After test footage leaked to the general public, a wave of fan support pushed the studio to take a gamble with a modestly-budgeted action feature, giving the film just $58 million to get made. Opening in February, 2016 Deadpool scored the highest debut for an R-rated film in Hollywood history with $135 million, and went on to finish its run with a staggering $783 million globally. In May, 2018 Deadpool 2 became the second-highest debut, with $125 million, and garnered an international haul of $734 million by the end of its run.

A hard-R re-released in a softer form is still something of an untested quantity in Hollywood, with the closest comparison being 1977’s hit Saturday Night Fever. Featuring liberal drug use and prominent sexual assault and abortion themes, it got slapped with a pretty understandable R-rating despite appealing to younger fans with a top-rated soundtrack. A PG version was later released in 1979, adding a cool $8.9 million to the film’s original $85.2 million cume.

Reynolds embraced the comparison for Once Upon A Deadpool, which releases on the 12th of December and will run until Christmas Eve, saying: “Eighty percent of Deadpool 3 takes place at a 1970’s disco so it only makes sense we’d find a connection to Saturday Night Fever. Plus, Deadpool loves Stayin’ Alive. It’s literally his only superpower.”

News

Rosamund Pike and Richard Madden Join BAFTA Jury to Decide EE Rising Star Award Shortlist

Published

on

Rosamund Pike Movie Marker

BAFTA nominated actress Rosamund Pike, actor Richard Madden, actor and producer Ray Panthaki and film broadcaster, Edith Bowman, joined the EE Rising Star Award jury to help choose the shortlist for the 2019 award.

Now in its fourteenth year, recipients of the EE Rising Star Award continue to read like a who’s who of the acting world with all past nominees and winners enjoying major box office success. It is the only award at the esteemed ceremony to be voted for by the British public and previous winners include James McAvoy, Eva Green, Juno Temple, Tom Hardy, Kristen Stewart, Noel Clarke, Jack O’Connell, Will Poulter, John Boyega, Tom Holland and last year’s winner, Daniel Kaluuya.

Meeting at BAFTA’s headquarters at 195 Piccadilly, London, the jury debated which five nominees deserve to go head to head and face the public vote ahead of the 2019 EE British Academy Film Awards. The shortlist will be announced on Thursday 3rd January and the winner will be revealed at the ceremony on Sunday 10th February.

Sitting alongside Rosamund Pike and Richard Madden on the jury panel at 195 Piccadilly were an outstanding line-up of industry experts gathered to discuss the long-list of emerging talent. The jury was chaired by Alison Thompson, Co-President of Cornerstone Films. It also included Lucy Bevan, industry-leading casting director for Murder on the Orient Express, Cinderella and Pirates of the CaribbeanLeo Davis, renowned casting director for The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas, Layer Cake and The Constant Gardener;and Georgina Lowe, acclaimed producer for Peterloo, Happy-Go-Lucky and Another Year. The jury was completed by prominent film and arts journalists including broadcaster Edith Bowman and film critic Anna Smith.

Rosamund Pike said: “To be asked to join this year’s EE Rising Star Award panel is an exciting honour. It’s been fascinating watching the breadth of talent in an incredible array of films. Making the shortlist decision won’t be easy as the calibre of the acting is so high but I’m looking forward to discussing and deliberating with my fellow jurors, to ensure we have the best possible shortlist for the public vote.”

Mandatory Credit: Photo by Maria Laura Antonelli/AGF/REX/Shutterstock (6323488bh)

Richard Madden said: “I was thrilled when I received the call inviting me to be a part of the decision making on this year’s EE Rising Star Award panel. It’s a very important category and it’s been exciting to watch these actors and actresses shine in their different parts. Today is going to be very interesting as we sit down to discuss who we each think deserves a nomination.”

Continue Reading

News

Lost Oswald the Lucky Rabbit Cartoon, Precursor to Mickey Mouse, Discovered in Japan

Published

on

Neck ‘n’ Neck, one of the seven Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoons thought lost to the annals of time, has been discovered by an anime historian in Japan.

The cartoon, first released by Disney in 1928, was in the hands of Yasushi Watanabe. The cartoon collector had bought a 16mm copy of the feature for the equivalent of $4.40 in Osaka when he was in high school almost 70 years ago, utterly oblivious to its significance.

“As I’ve been a Disney fan for many years, I’m happy that I was able to play a role,” Watanabe said in an interview with a local newspaper. The original Neck ‘n’ Neck, which aired as a supplementary feature in cinemas, was five minutes in length. However, the cartoon was cut down to just two minutes for the 16mm version that was sold for home projection use, which unfortunately does mean that 60% of the original feature still remains lost.

Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks created Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in 1927 and created twenty-six cartoons featuring the character that were then distributed by Universal Studios. Oswald was Walt Disney’s first original character, and his success acted as the launchpad for the business that is now worth $92 billion.

Unfortunately, in 1928, Walt Disney lost control of the character following a bitter contract disagreement with Oswald’s producer Charles Mintz, and Mintz would in fact wrangle the character over to Universal full-term, where he would stay until 2006. Following the loss of his flagship character, Walt would decide to make a replacement to be the face of his new cartoon business, and went on to create Mickey Mouse who debuted that same year in the black-and-white classic Steamboat Willie.

Continue Reading

Box Office News

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Eyeing $250M Debut

Published

on

Forthcoming, magical prequel/sequel Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald is on track for a spellbinding time at the international box office.

The feature, which has been directed by Potter stalwart David Yates and penned by series’ creator JK Rowling, looks poised to potentially score a $65 million domestic debut, though some experts are placing the opening weekend figure closer to $75 million. If those higher estimates hold true, it would put the feature on par with its predecessor, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them ($74 million), which went on to garner $814 million worldwide. The Crimes of Grindelwald is hoping for a higher overall, however, carrying a budget of $200 million compared to the first film’s $175 million.

Globally, the film is on track to take in $250 million in its opening weekend, but that figure could suffer due to a harsher critical reception this time around; The Crimes of Grindelwald currently sits at a 54% on Rotten Tomatoes, and holds a 57 MetaScore, with many critcs decrying the feature as “cluttered“, “unsatisfying“, and “sleep-inducing“.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald is in UK cinemas from tomorrow, starring Eddie Redmayne, Jude Law, and Johnny Depp, and is rated 12A.

Continue Reading

Trending